2017-2018 Undergraduate Catalog 
    Feb 29, 2020  
2017-2018 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Recreation and Leisure Studies

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Departmental Programs

Gail C. Lamberta, Ph.D., Chairperson

The major in Recreation, which leads to a Bachelor of Science degree, may be completed as a four-year program for entering freshmen or as an upper-division program for transfer students. The program is nationally accredited by the Council on Accreditation for Parks, Recreation, Tourism and Related Professions (COAPRT).

This program aims to provide the philosophy, psychology, sociology, and professional enrichment necessary to enhance both clinical and administrative skills in Recreation and Leisure Studies. The student may choose to concentrate in either Therapeutic Recreation or Leisure Services Management.

The Therapeutic Recreation concentration prepares graduates to pursue careers as Therapeutic Recreation Specialists in health care and social service agencies. A Therapeutic Recreation specialist is part of a team of highly skilled professionals who assist people with physical and developmental disabilities, mental illness, age-related limitations, alcohol and other drug dependency, as well as at-risk youth, and juvenile and adult offenders.

The Therapeutic Recreation specialist may work in many different settings, including hospitals, rehabilitation centers, assisted living and long term care facilities, community mental health centers, schools, group homes, correctional facilities, substance abuse facilities, and vocational training centers.

The Leisure Services Management concentration leads to positions with YMCA’s, youth agencies, community or government recreation and parks departments, as well as in non-profit and private agencies.

Certification is available as a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS) from the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC) to those students who major in Therapeutic Recreation. Students who major in Leisure Services Management may pursue a Certified Park and Recreation Professional (CPRP) certification from the National Recreation and Parks Association (NRPA). Interested students should seek advisement concerning specific eligibility requirements.

Any student who enrolls in a practicum course which will involve any physical contact with a child or a patient, especially persons with disabilities, must provide evidence that he or she has acquired professional liability insurance.

Articulation with Kingsborough Community College: St. Joseph’s has an articulation agreement with Kingsborough through which KCC students who complete the A.S. degree in Recreation may transfer to St. Joseph’s for the B.S. in either Leisure Services Management or Therapeutic Recreation.




      Recreation and Leisure Studies

      Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Departmental Programs