2019-2020 Undergraduate Catalog 
    May 15, 2021  
2019-2020 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Alcoholism and Addictions Counseling Certificate (Professional Studies)

This 29 credit certificate is designed to prepare health, human services, human resources practitioners and psychology majors to provide counseling and referral services to persons affected by alcoholism, drug abuse and dependency.

Courses taken for the Certificate in Alcoholism and Addictions Counseling may be applied toward the B.S. degrees in Human Services, Health Administration, and Organizational Management. For psychology majors, two courses (HS 412/PSY312 & HS 470/PSY470) will be applied towards the major in psychology, two courses (ENG 103 & LIB 100/SJC100) will be applied towards the B.A. core requirements. The remaining 17 credits will count as elective liberal arts credits.

St. Joseph’s College has been granted Education/Training Provider status (#AI 0016 AL) by the New York State Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services (OASAS) for the purposes of the Credentialed Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Counselor (CASAC) examination process. For current information on the certificate, consult with an advisor.


Professional standards of conduct and adherence to the ethical principles of OASAS (such as avoidance of any illegal psychoactive substances or abusing any legal substances, including alcohol and prescription medications) will be required as a precondition for participation in the practicums. In addition, agencies/facilities offering practicums reserve the right to conduct appropriate tests to assure compliance with the foregoing.

(A minimum of 19 credits toward this certificate must be taken at St. Joseph’s College. Approval is necessary before registering for the practicum. Students who earn below a B in HS 470  may not register for HS 471 , and students who earn below a B in HS 471  may not register for HS 472 . Approval required to take HS 470 , HS 471 , and HS 472  concurrently. A cumulative index of 2.0 with a grade of B or better in the practicums is required for the certificate.)

To view the Gainful Employment Disclosure Requirements, please click on the link below: